Thursday, March 8, 2012

Finished Jelly Roll Quilt

This post includes a lot of firsts for me:
1) This is my first finished quilt of 2012! (Shouldn't have taken me so long to get to my first quilt finish!)
2) This is the first quilt I've ever made with a jelly roll - in fact the first jelly roll I've ever purchased or used!
3) This is the first quilt I've ever machine quilted!
4) This is the first quilt I've ever started and finished in the same week!


Wow, it felt really good to write all of that! :) As a brief overview, I bought the jelly roll from JoAnn Fabrics on Monday evening. I put all of the 9 patch squares together that night. Tuesday night I sewed them all together and added the borders. Wednesday I didn't work on it at all. Thursday I sewed on the binding and hand-stitched it all to secure it to the back of the quilt. This might very well be my fastest finish ever.

I'm planning on giving this quilt to my sister for watching our cats while we're gone on vacation. She'll have to deal with their rambunctiousness for a little over 2 weeks and I know they're going to drive her crazy!

I used fusible batting inside, and I LOVED it! I did pin down around the edges, but I didn't have to spend a lot of time pinning everything together to be able to quilt the top. It almost seemed too easy...almost. I stitched a large diagonal pattern onto the quilt that makes it almost look a little like argyle.

My favorite part of the quilt is the binding. I used the leftover strips from the jelly roll, so it's all different colors. I think it makes the quilt very festive. All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with this little quilt, so I think I'm going to have to make one for myself sometime. I'll be linking this up to Crazy Mom QuiltsConfessions of a Fabric Addict and AmyLouWho's Sew-n-tell so be sure to check out their other finishes of the week! Happy Crafting!

15 comments:

  1. I love the soft colors and it all blends so nicely. And I love scrappy bindings, this just adds so to this quilt. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great "firsts" for you, congratulations! The quilt is just great with those fabrics. (Of course, I just love yellow!) So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors of this quilt, and the scrappy binding just puts it over the top. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on all the firsts! I especially love the scrappy binding, it makes it so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great week of firsts! Lovely quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did finish fast. Very pretty quilt, I bet your sister will love it. Whoop Whoop

    ReplyDelete
  7. The grey and black with the pretty yellow makes it a really sweet quilt.

    P.S. I am from WI originally too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to be productive~great quilt!
    Smiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice finish! I love it when everything comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty, Karen! Lots of firsts to celebrate, too! Whoop whoop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors look great and the binding really sets it off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, that's really neat. Love the colors and the binding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! It's so satisfying when something comes together quickly, isn't it? Your sister is going to LoVe it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I have had that jelly roll from Joann sitting in my craft box waiting for a project... I just may copy yours!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions. Feel free to drop me a line!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...