Saturday, April 28, 2012

9 Patch Table Runner

With Mother's Day coming up I knew I wanted to make something for my mother-in-law, but wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do. I made her a quilt years ago for Christmas that she uses all of the time, so at least I know she likes what I make!

I was looking through my fabric stash trying to see what I could put together without making a special trip to the store. I don't have much of a stash since I try to buy just the amount of fabric that I'm going to need for specific projects.

Luckily, I had lots of little 1.5"x1.5" squares left over from the Super Mario Quilt I'm making my husband. (That project still isn't done, but you can see more here: Super Mario Quilt Project.) So I figured I could do something with those. In the end, a 9 patch table runner is what I came up with. I had just enough summer green, dark brown and white fabric left from the Mario quilt to complete the table runner. I guess it was just meant to be! I used a fat quarter that I didn't have any plans for on the back. I wanted to keep the back pretty neutral in case she wants to flip it over and have something less colorful.

I really like how the colors turned out together. If my mother-in-law puts a vase of flowers in the center of this, she could use it for pretty much any season with the right color of flowers. (I'm almost tempted to keep it for myself, but maybe I'll make another with similar colors and pattern for my own table.) I still need to wash it yet, but I've got a couple weeks before I'll be giving it to her.
For the quilting, I just kept it simple with a stitch-in-the-ditch between each 9 patch square and around the border. I hand stitched the binding on and just used up the rest of the green fabric I had on hand. So, I hope you've all got some finishes under your belt this week, and if not I'm sure you're working on some marvelous projects. I had one other project from this week which you can check out here: Pin Cushions - where I made some of those cathedral window pin cushions that are really popular now. Hope you all have a great upcoming week! Happy crafting!

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict for another finish! Check out everyone else's projects there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and questions. Feel free to drop me a line!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...