Saturday, September 1, 2012

September 2012 Crafty Goals

I can't believe it's September already! This summer flew by way too fast. So, that means it's time for another post on crafty goals for this new month. But first, we have to see how I did on my August goals...

Here's my August to do list:

1) Make a tie wreath for my Dad
2) Make a new Kindle case
3) Make my separate Think Christmas Blog Hop blocks into a table runner
4) Make my matching Think Christmas Blog Hop blocks into a quilt top
5) Design blocks for the Dots on Dots Blog Hop for September
6) Try some basic paper piecing
7) Make a scrappy fall table runner for my Mom

So, I think I did really well this month. There was only one goal that I didn't get to, and that was #4 - making a Christmas quilt top. The reason I didn't get that done? I never made any matching Think Christmas Blog Hop blocks. I had every intention to do that in July, but I simply ran out of time. I guess you just can't do it all right? Not with a full time job anyway. But, here's a recap of all of the other projects:

1) Tie wreath - done and delivered!








2) Kindle case - done and I'm enjoying very much!








3) Think Christmas Table Runner - done and will be delivered in October










4) Dots on Dots blocks - designed and I even have the first one sewn together (I think that calls for extra credit)










5) Basic paper piecing - done and I'll be giving that pot holder away later this weekend when I see my sister again.







6) Fall table runner - done and 1/2 delivered. I gave it to my sister who will see my mom before me and will deliver it on my behalf. :)






So, 6 out of 7 is roughly what, 85%? A solid B, but I think I deserve a little extra credit for 2 reasons. I did more than just design the Dots on Dots blocks - I have everything cut, one block sewn together, and 19 more blocks ready to be sewn together.

Then, I also taught my sister how to sew last night. We had a great time, and she sewed her first project on a machine - a tote bag. We actually made 2 and she did all the sewing. They are reversible with one side being a 1970s style print and the other a colorful Indian type print. I love both fabrics and I'm excited to use the tote bag. We even made our own handles out of duck cloth/canvas that is really sturdy.

It was awesome seeing her get so excited about sewing and how much time having a machine was going to save her. She is very thrifty and finds things all the time at Good Will or swap meets or auctions that she fixes up. So, now she doesn't have to mend everything by hand. Plus, she finds a lot of great vintage items, so I can foresee some awesome projects coming up for her. All in all it took us 4 hours to make 2 tote bags, so I'd say that's really great for a first-time project. She went to a swap meet today and took her new tote to show off. So proud of her!

 So, I'd say both of those little extras bring me up to an A- for the month of August. :)

And now, here are my goals for September:

1) Sew the Dots on Dots blocks together
2) Finish the Dots on Dots top and quilt it
3) Make a tie wreath for our door out of my husband's ties
4) Finish the 9 patch quilt top I started in High School

I think I'm just going to focus on those 4 this month. I've been helping my husband's cousin plan her wedding which is on Sunday, September 9th, so I'll be busy making sure everything is set for that over the next week and won't have much time to sew. My husband and I are also starting back up with praise band practice at our church, so I won't have Sunday nights to sew or craft any more either. So, you'll probably see a little less craftiness from me in the coming months, but I promise I'll keep you posted with everything I'm working on. Until next time - happy crafting!

4 comments:

  1. WOW! You had a great month!! So how long has the 9 patch been a MUF (Masterpiece Under Fermentation)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great month! I especially liked the way you finished it off :)
    Glasses raised to Sept :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been crazy busy. You definitely get extra credit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tote bags are so cute! Glad you got to teach your sis how to sew. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions. Feel free to drop me a line!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...