Thursday, January 17, 2013

Sausage, Potato and Leek Soup!

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've had a weird ear/balance problem that's been making me feel sick and (to use a quilting term) wonky, so I've been taking it easy. With the weird head movements I'm supposed to do I'm sure I'll be back to normal soon. :)

I have managed to clean and reorganize my bathrooms though. I bought a little cupboard that holds all of my towels and wash cloths now so I have lots of room under the sink. I even spent about an hour scrubbing each of my toilets by hand! (I know - I'm really dedicated to the cause - haha!) They look wonderful, but I felt funny taking pictures of a toilet, so I didn't.

On another note, I did manage to make a really delicious soup that I thought I'd share. Soup sounded really good to me since it's in the single digits outside here and I've been ill. So, with the help of my amazing husband, we put together a very tasty sausage, potato and leek soup!

Here's a list of what I used with rough (and I repeat rough) estimates of how much I put in. It's a soup, so you just have to feel it! :)


  • 5 medium sized russet potatoes (this I know I counted right...)
  • 1/4 of a leek - chopped (I've never used a leek before, so we used 1/2 of the light end of the leek)
  • about 2 cups chicken stock (maybe more...)
  • about 2 cups milk
  • 3/4 lb of sweet Italian sausage
  • Italian seasoning to taste
  • Salt and pepper to taste
First I peeled, cubed and boiled the potatoes. I drained off most of the water and then mashed 3/4 of the potato cubes in the soup pot. While those were boiling, I browned up the sausage. When the sausage was almost done I added the leek to it to get those little guys warmed up too.

Then I combined everything into the potato pot (so potatoes, leek and sausage mixture, milk, chicken stock and seasonings). Then I brought that up to a low boil and kept adjusting the seasoning as I went. 

I served it with corn bread (I tried a recipe that was gluten free and I found it lacking - I think it needed more salt). However, the bread was good dipped in the soup. We also garnished our soup with some fresh made bacon. Delicious! And, I have two large bowls for leftovers. So - this would probably serve a family of 5 just fine. :) Hope you all are having fun quilting, crafting, cooking or doing whatever you love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and questions. Feel free to drop me a line!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...