Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Flying South Baby Quilt

Hello everyone! So I'm a bit behind in making my friend Jason a baby quilt considering his son is a couple months old already... I had planned on making this quilt:


I bought the magazine so I had the pattern. I went out and bought all the fabric since my brown and green selection is very slim. I washed all the fabric. And then I let it all sit. And sit. And sit. I just couldn't get motivated to do this project and I realized I just hated the pattern. Yes, it is adorable and I would love to have this quilt. But making it is another story. It seemed tedious and just completely un-fun. 

I was watching tv one night and doodling on some graph paper when I came up with a quilt that I did want to make. I looked at it and thought, "that's what I'm doing for the baby quilt!" 

I ironed all the fabric this morning and got to cutting. I just used the greens that I had bought and some white for the background. I put these together:


I love how easy the "no waste" flying geese method is. One large 7 1/4" square for the center and four 3 7/8" background squares give you four geese blocks measuring 6" x 3". Once I got these put together I cut the remaining background pieces and before I knew it the quilt top was completely done!


This is a lot of negative space for me. A lot. I've never had this much before and it's kinda freaking me out a bit. I think that I'm going to just straight line quilt this with some diagonal lines in white, but it will be so noticeable in that negative space. Now I'm thinking that I should have just made the whole top out of flying geese and no negative space to make the quilting easier. But... I looooove this quilt top and the look of it. So, I guess soon I will be getting over my fear of negative space. :) 

Stay tuned!


4 comments:

  1. Looks like a heart, too. Can't wait to see the final result. Very modern and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never done a white space quilt, but Im totally in love with them. And I love green, cant wait to see more of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really nice! All that negative space says to me: toss in the occasional swirl. Of course that's easier said than done, but it could happen! Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh. Love that lion. I think Ineed to make one.
    I can understand not everyone being as insane as I and you wanting to pick a different pattern. I like your flying geese one too. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the negative space

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions. Feel free to drop me a line!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...